It’s day I-don’-even-know-anymore and you’ve probably started to run out of things to do at home. Aside from your usual work or chores, it’s still nice to keep yourself busy by learning something new or trying out a new hobby. In this case, it could be how to create homemade dog desserts for your pal.
We know that due to the limitations you can’t always go out and buy treats, so here are a few simple homemade alternatives to try out! From frozen treats to baked goodies, there’s one for everyone!
Before we proceed, an important thing to remember in choosing the peanut butter you use is that it is sugar-free or that it does not contain Xylitol which is toxic to dogs.
Let’s start with frozen treats that your dogs can enjoy after their daily walk!
Recipe from Tiktok’s Bruno and Luki
What you need :
- 5 to 10 pieces of Strawberries
- 1 piece of banana
- 1 cup of plain yogurt
- Popsicle mold
- Cut up the strawberries and banana in a bowl.
- Lightly mash them, but make sure that there are still fruit chunks left.
- Add in a cup of plain yogurt.
- Pour into a popsicle mold. Freeze for 3-4 hours.
Peanut Butter and Jam Freezies
Recipe idea from Pawsh Magazine
What you need:
- 1/2 cup of Strawberries or Blueberries
- 1/2 cup of Peanut Butter (Jif, Teddie Super Chunky, or Smucker’s Natural Peanut Butter are recommended )
- 1 cup of water
- Ice Tray
- Put the berries and water in a blender or a food processor. Make sure to puree it.
- Add the 1/2 cup of Peanut Butter to the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the ice tray and freeze for 2 hours.
- Spread extra peanut butter on top of each piece before serving to your pet pal.
Now onto warm baked goodies as a midday or evening doggo snack!
Recipe from A Saucy Kitchen
What you need:
- 1/2 small or medium apple, diced into small pieces
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter + more if desired for frosting
- 1 whole egg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder (optional)
- bacon bits for topping (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 180°C/350°F.
- In a small bowl mix all of your ingredients until combined.
- Line or lightly grease two holes in a cupcake tin or a small ramekin. Spoon the mixture into the prepared pans.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cupcake to cool completely. You can leave it as is, or frost with peanut butter and sprinkle with bacon bits.
Peanut Butter Pumpkin Treat
Recipe from AllRecipes.com
What you need:
- 2 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup canned pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). 2.
- Whisk together the flour, eggs, pumpkin, peanut butter, salt, and cinnamon in a bowl. Add water as needed to help make the dough workable, but the dough should be dry and stiff. Roll the dough into a 1/2-inch-thick roll. Cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Bake in a preheated oven until hard, about 40 minutes.
Now that you know how to make homemade dog desserts, you’re probably excited to test these recipes out! We’re sure that your pet pal will be thrilled to be gobbling up these treats.
Not only did you make treats for your dog, but you also learned something new!