It’s a ‘doggy dog’ world and we are all just living in it. Think about it: we provide them with shelter, sustenance, and more. In return, they give us unconditional love among many other things. Pretty good deal, right? Pups are precious gifts and that is why we protect them with laws. Funny thing is some of these laws come off as peculiar and even ridiculous. Here are 20 of the weirdest and strangest local dog laws by state.
1. You cannot tie your pet dog to the roof of a car in Anchorage, Alaska.
You think this would be one of those no-brainers because if you haven’t heard: tying your dog to the roof of your car is just cruel and wrong. But lawmakers in Alaska had to enforce this one so people would not try it. We could all just wonder what happened to the poor pup that started all this. Respect.
2. In Little Rock, Arkansas, dogs are not allowed to bark after 6 PM.
Don’t you just hate it when you’re having a nice dinner with your family and the neighbor’s dog starts barking like crazy? Well, here’s a tip: move to Arkansas because it is illegal for doggies to keep barking past 6 PM. We’re guessing their owners would be fined if their pet got caught.
3. No dog is allowed to be in a public place without its master on a leash in Belvedere, California.
Wait, what? Did we read that right? We know laws are written in broad terms to stretch their limits, but this one is just weird. Are they saying that dogs are not allowed in public places without their masters tying them on a leash? Or do they want the masters to be tied on the leash themselves? We may never know.
4. In Hartford, Connecticut, you aren’t allowed to educate dogs.
Are you already planning out where your mutt will go to college? Well, make sure you are not living in Hartford, CT because it is forbidden in this town to teach your dog how to read and write. Honestly, if dogs were educated they would beat us in any career opportunity.
5. In Denver, Colorado, the dog catcher must notify dogs of impounding by posting (for three consecutive days) a notice on a tree in the city park and along a public road through said park to make sure dogs don’t miss the notice.
If you live in the Rocky Mountains your dog cannot be a dumb dog. Teach that little guy how to read so he would see the heads up dog catchers are posting all over the city. The town is giving dogs a three-day notice before they throw them to the pound.
6. It’s illegal to give a dog whiskey in Chicago, Illinois
It is not allowed to make your dog drink hard liquor in Chitown. And probably for good reason: their insides are not designed nor evolved to handle alcohol. Plus, you would not want your dog to get drunk and drive your car, right?
7. In Galesburg, Illinois, no person may keep a smelly dog.
Nobody likes a smelly dog and in Galesburg, and the townsfolk are barred from keeping one. So make sure to give that little fellow a bath or take him to the vet if he has some kind of skin condition.
8. And in Northbrook, Illinois, it’s against the law for a dog to bark for more than 15 minutes.
What’s up with Illinois and these crazy specific laws? Dogs are not allowed to bark for more than 15 minutes. So go ahead and set your timer to 14 minutes and fifty-nine seconds. Anything more than that and the cops will come knocking.
9. Dogs are not allowed to mess with cars in Fort Thomas, Kentucky
Nobody likes to see their car being used as a public urinal by dogs. In fact, the town of Fort Thomas, KY hates it so much they passed a law disallowing canines to relieve themselves in any way, shape, or form on automobiles.
10. Fights between cats and dogs are not allowed in Barber, North Carolina
Do you own dogs and cats? Do they fight sometimes? It’s pretty normal if you ask me, but just make sure you don’t live in Barber, NC. They outlawed fight clubs between canine and feline so you better take that ruckus somewhere else.
11. In Oklahoma, people who make “ugly faces” at dogs may be subject to fines and/or jail.
Making ‘ugly faces’ at dogs could land you in hot water. We don’t know for sure how this law started, but we are betting some drunk guy riled up a dog by making unsavory facial expressions and probably got attacked. This is one Tiktok challenge you would not dare to try in OK.
12. In Madison, Wisconsin, dogs are not allowed to ‘worry’ squirrels in the public park next to the capitol.
If you are a squirrel that is fed up with being harassed by dogs all your life, then it might be a good idea to move out to Madison, WI. Just make sure you pick a spot near the public park next to the capitol. It is illegal for dogs to worry you in that exact location.
13. Dogs with tattoos must be reported to the police in Connecticut
In Connecticut, it is a law that you must report a dog with tattoos to the police. Probably because it’s cruel and violates various animal protection laws. Our twisted sense of humor can’t help but imagine gangster dogs though.
14. Dogs need a permit signed by the mayor to congregate in groups of 3 or more on private property in Oklahoma
If you are a dog in OK who wants to meet with other dogs to discuss cats, squirrels, the mailman, and other doggie business you would need a signed permit from the mayor. We suggest using Zoom or Skype instead to avoid the paperwork.
15. It’s against the law for couples to make out or hold hands while walking a dog on a leash in New Castle, Delaware
It’s a bad idea to show any kind of public display of affection to your significant other while walking your dog because it might become jealous. Kidding aside, our best guess why this law came to pass is because some careless couple was busy smooching when their dog got loose and got into some kind of accident. Be more responsible.
16. French Poodles are forbidden from attending the opera in Chicago, Illinois
Bad news for poodles living in Chicago who have a penchant for the opera: you are not allowed to attend a show. There’s probably a good and logical reason why this happened, but we all can take consolation in the fact that there’s a thing now called YouTube.
17. It’s illegal to give lighted cigars to dogs in Zion, Illinois
Illinois has a history of having crazy specific and weird dog laws. Why would you give a cigar to a dog? If you’re in Zion, IL and you want to give your dog one just make sure it is not lighted or the neighbors might see and report you.
18. You’re not allowed to give alcohol or tobacco to any animals (including your own dog) in public parks in Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Here in Tuscaloosa, you cannot give any animal a cigarette or tobacco (lit or not) as well as any form of alcohol. We support this law. Alcohol and other substances might do damage to your beloved pet and violate animal rights.
19. No person is allowed to sleep in a dog kennel – Wallace, Idaho
Times are hard and some folks are devoid of shelter, but why would you want to sleep in a kennel in the first place? It’s uncomfortable, unsanitary, and potentially dangerous. Regardless of what you feel about it, it’s illegal in Wallace, ID.
20. In Glendale, California, one may not take his dog on an elevator with him
Elevators are scary even for some people. It’s literally a metal box going at rapid speeds up and down a building. Your dog could get claustrophobic or dizzy or just plain terrified. Better take the steps or just leave your pet with a sitter.